Thursday, January 15, 2009

a word about my blog

i am in the midst of some changes
and as i thought about how to explain my choice
i decided to leave it at this
i will be in charge of my children's education {for at least the next few years}
what this means :
tomorrow is Jax's last day of "public" education
Monday will mark a new day
my resolve is to watch, learn from, & aid my children as they
flourish
{be healthy or grow well... to be strong and healthy or grow well, especially because conditions are right... to sustain continuous steady strong growth }
i am very blest...for i live in a State that has set up an online "public" school
so as we transition i can be sure that my children are getting at least the education that they receive in public school
***note from the author***
these are books that have aided my decision as well as educational planning
The Well Trained Mind ( a guide to classical education at home)
Susan Wise Bauer & Jessie Wise
First Language Lessons
Jessie Wise
Thomas Jefferson Education
Oliver Van DeMille
Read Aloud Handbook
Jim Trelease
Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
Jessie Wise & Sara Buffington
Slow & Steady Get Me Ready
June R Oberlander
Everybody has a Body
Robert E Rockwell
Robert A Williams
Elizabeth A Sherwood

5 comments:

Franklin Family said...

I greatly admire those who home school their kids. You will be wonderful, and please keep us updated on how you are loving it!

Tami said...

Good for you! I have wished so many times that I would do that- so go for it! That impresses me!

Tami said...

My cousin Micah is also homeschooling her children- she lives in Oregon- maybe you can bounce stuff off each other
http://www.xanga.com/mmoocow

I've also heard about a reading site
starfall.com I think

Eryn said...

Thanks for sharing all this. I'm interested and appreciate you sharing this information. I checked out from the library awhile back "Read Aloud Handbook". I've been looking for a good book about teaching your children to read so I'll have to check out Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.

Djm7 said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Bowman World and have enjoyed her links to your site. I have a 6 year old in kindergarten and am wondering what helped you decide to homeschool. My son is bored often and flies through his homework, but I'm torn because he loves the social aspect of public school. Doesn't love his teacher (new this year) but the school is great and he does like going so I'm holding out to see how next year's teacher is. Just wondered how you made the choice, because I think about it often. And how easy is it to do with younger sibs under foot? Thanks for any thoughts/advice you might have!
email: iveymitchell@yahoo.com