Thursday, November 20, 2008

can't take it with you

this season as usual has me thinking about
purchasing
why because "it's the most wonderful time of the year....." and i truly believe that it is
however while watching the office
this evening on my compu
i was subjected to the same ad over and over...and over again
it went something like this:
Americana's are known for wanting it all
and that isn't a bad thing
the truth is there is just so much cool stuff to have
that sometimes we get carried away
....yada yada not if you have a discover card
HUH........i thought to myself
really it isn't a bad thing...i kinda think it is
i have been noticing the feelings of want washing over me
i want....i need...wouldn't it be fun to have.........
i am kinda..well to tell you the truth I'm kinda
disgusted with myself
i don't need much
really
we are so very blessed that we don't really have any
enormous needs
and as i think of this
another thought entered my mind
we could HAVE
a lot more
STUFF
if I were working..we could stay in this house
and have plenty of money to save
we could go to Costa Rica annually at least..
we could....
and........
also have.....
but i guess what I am getting at
is that
nothing worth doing comes easy
so...because we are a one income family in order to save the money we feel is necessary
we are moving...I'm not going to work
so...in order to be a truly Christ-like person
I need to get my head out of the wants
and into
thinking about WHO is in need this season
i am sure, it would take less clicks of my mouse to find
someone in need
than to find
a pair of great boots ( which i have been looking for)
so...i guess where i am going with this
is
I am re-dedicating myself
to the TRUE
Christmas spirit
the holiday
which i observe in remembrance of my older brother
who gave his life for me ( and you)
because
he has a pure love
and wants us to have a chance to obtain celestial glory
i am going to work
on my insides so that i can feel that pure
love for those around me
and I hope as I work on me
my Heavenly Father will
guide my actions this season
so that this season
can be.....for me..mine..and those around me
TRULY
"the most wonderful time of the year..."
**note from the author**
sometime i share these thoughts because i need to have them written down to remind me of my late night pondering....if you are inspired as well, i am glad for it

3 comments:

it's just lisa said...

Awesome. You are on the right track.

I just keep telling myself, If I want to be happy then I should be grateful for what I have and try to give to those who have not. Good luck in the new home, and good job for taking such good care of your sweet children.

This may be one of my favorite posts of yours, just reminds me of why I like you so much.

Miss Brandy said...

I know this sounds crazy, but I was just thinking the same thing, in exactly the same eloquent way. :)

Really, what I've been thinking is that it shouldn't feel that hard for me to find a way to give to others. I always think, "Well, if I knew a way to give or help I would." Bushwa (is that how you spell it?)- I'm holding myself back so I can have more and being a total brat.

When you get here slap me in the face.

Trish Griffee said...

Oh Sarah I'm with you girl! We could have much more if I worked also but it's not worth the sacrifice of my children's upbringing. Good luck with the move!